If you have read about the kind of life inside sober living homes, then, you must have learned about the topics and exercises taught to patients by professionals who handle each case. Aside from teaching patients on how to stay away from alcohol, cigarettes or drugs, each and every registrant is coached on mental and spiritual practices as well. These activities are intended to equip themselves with effective coping skills in dealing with their current situation. Furthermore, these skills are developed progressively within the environment until they become “second nature” to the patients.
Did you know that spiritual and coping skills are essential in rebuilding emotional and physical balance that was damaged during the period of substance dependence? Believe it or not, these two factors can make or break every recovery process unless it is instilled into the mind. Let us take a look at how this setup can provide good, long-term results.
Spiritual practices can bring an individual to know more about himself and to acknowledge what he really is made up of. This leads to achieve inner peace; so, if you are calm, all of your thoughts are balanced and anger is a far-fetched emotion. Meditation or yoga can be integrated into a spiritual practice as these two go together very well. Here is how we define these two spiritual factors:
- Meditation – means searching for that profound peace and staying calm while the mind is mentally alert. It is the first step towards inner transformation that eventually brings about our true potential as human beings.This term is usually misconstrued as the same as yoga. While it certainly forms a part of a yogi’s routine, it is considered as deeper contemplation wherein the body is rested and focused on calmness but at the same time, the mind is still wide awake.
- Yoga involves performing Asana steps or poses. This is an ancient Hindu practice believed to calm down the muscles and brain and is very effective in follow-up therapies for various health conditions.This practice instills severe body and mind discipline which is beneficial to the overall health. A yogi instructs students step-by-step on what to do. They make funny, murmuring sounds that are believed to calm down the entire body system. Yoga exercises develop awareness, flexibility, and renewed sense of energy.Moreover, spirituality proves advantageous for reforming addicts as trust is built around on what they believe in. A thing that is highly revered is a thing that gives light to a believer. One can always experiment on which belief works best for a specific purpose.
The hardest part of recovery lies within the transition period that is abstractly found between a facility and the home which is the last destination of a transformed substance user. This particular period has brought havoc not only to the users but the rehab experts as well. There were series of cases where users have found their way back into rehab centers due to lack of guidance during the middle part of recovery period. This marked the beginning of teaching additional coping skills on patients.
Professionals began providing sober living residents support; educating them with looming issues that could beset them while dealing with temperance. However, everything they have to know is not offered all at the same time. Experts believe that there is a sort of deviant character that remains in every patient. Not all of them think the same and there would always be varied reactions to what is being placed in front of them.
With this in mind, some good souls started to establish homes meant for the purpose of leading individuals closer to moderation and every venue has its own style of handling their wards. Separated from the males, females have their own place to stay, complete with amenities that have the capacity to divert their attention to activities other than their old habits. Nonetheless, the primary teachings inside these houses are almost the same. What makes a particular sobriety home stand out is the consistent manner of patient management.
Here are some basic coping mechanisms taught inside a Casa Nuevo Vida sober living community:
- Anger Management: Every patient is coached on controlling this strong emotion. The community offers fitness and routine exercise that can help distract the mind from anger. This emotion is but natural but we all know that there are times when somebody just goes overboard and in a fit may throw things. This can be devastating and may ruin the process of recovery. Once mood is controlled, the rest of the steps would be easy to tackle.
- Healthy Habits: Living healthy means living without the substance inside and out (this includes cleansing of the mind). Physical fitness and regular workouts are encouraged to maintain a healthy body and sane mind.
- Faith: Believing in one’s self is a primary goal and this is to rebuild self-confidence. A broken man would fear to face the real world where society always gauges a person’s status. The belief of making it through the dark moments of life is a substantial motivation for a reformed user. This could help him when making good judgments.
- Trustworthiness: Once anger is managed and faith is inculcated into the mind, trustworthiness may follow. Every sober living home has a network of support that makes it easier for patients to adapt to normal living. They would see through a patient’s performance and implement it one by one, section per section so that every teaching is easily digested.
- Importance of Family: This comes last but not the least of what is served in this community. This idea is re-introduced to strengthen the bond of the patients with their family members. This will remind them that people they regularly see when they wake up every day are ready to help them. Family stands as their first line of defense against the thought of going back to rehabilitation centers.
Gearing for sobriety may not be as hard as other people think. It only takes a matter of understanding what is being taught by the mentor and what is being thought of by the learner. What makes these homes important to the lives of those who want to achieve reform is the way change is encouraged.
Our San Fernando Valley sober living home is an ideal setting for recovery. The Encino sober home is located one block from Ventura Boulevard, providing easy access to shops, restaurants, groceries, major medical and sports facilities. Less than a quarter mile away is beautiful Balboa Park, with facilities for golf, cycling, running/jogging, fishing, and other recreational activities.
Our one-acre estate in Encino features 4 individual houses. The main house offers 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The guest house is a fully contained house with living quarters and bath. The “Casita,” is a second guest house complete with wood burning fireplace and bath with Jacuzzi bathtub. This serene recovery home can accommodate up to 10 men at a time and offers the best of all amenities from accommodations to cuisine. Our last building is designed as our “entertainment den”. This is our fun space with WII Sports equipment, X-Boxes and more!!
- Heated pool and Jacuzzi
- Meditation gardens with fountains and benches
- Professional billiards table, Ping pong tables, and Mountain bikes
- Round the clock support (Manager lives ON estate 24/7)
Casa Nuevo Vida caters to men who are ready to have a wonderful new beginning, building a life that is centered on sound sober living principles. For those who are looking for an environment that is supportive of long term recovery, our sober home in Culver City is nestled in a beautiful tree lined street in a quiet neighborhood, providing privacy and discretion for each resident.
Casa Nuevo Vida’s Culver City sober home is strategically located, offering easy access to shops, restaurants, movie theaters and other resources in the West Los Angeles area. Our home is also near major bus lines and within walking distance of various Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings and activities.
- One suite with private entrance
- Plasma TVs in every bedroom, Full wireless cable, Internet services throughout the house
- Heated pool with infinity fountain, Custom massage chairs
- Round the clock support (Manager lives in-house 24/7)
Playa del Rey location at the end of Culver Blvd right to the sand via public transportation – next to Marina del Rey and Manhattan beach. 1 mile to the best surfing beaches in LA. Beautiful sandy beach with volleyball courts, bike path, jogging and walking paths – also next to Ballona creek – home to many birds and wildlife – great hiking and walking trails.
- Rooftop patio with outdoor movie theater, ping pong tables, sunbathing lounges, fountains etc
- Beach cruisers, boogie boards, surfboards all included in house fees
- Private chef cooks in professional kitchen every afternoon and evening
- Meditation garden with firepit and fountains